Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

New Member Saying Hi

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Default New Member Saying Hi

Hey Everyone,

My name is John. I didnt see any posts in the New Member area, and I saw that non technical threads go here. So I figured this was a good place to post this.

I'm a huge fan of 911's. I'm finally in a position in life to be start thinking about buying one. I recently became the Manager of Network Operations at the place I work. I figured I can spend the next few years paying off my debts and then buy my dream car. I've been doing research for a long time now. I wanted to join a forum to further my knowledge and hopefully tide me over until I can actually make my purchase.

I'm planning to buy a 2009-2011 Carrera 4S Hard Top. I want to get a 997 model since they are pretty new. I specifically want to get one of the later models because they upgraded the engine in 2009. Who knows though, I may even go for the newer 991 model. I just understand that people really dont like the new electric assisted steering.

One thing I'm going to really have to decide though is do I want an S, or a 4S. The price difference on a used one isnt that much, but does the added cost for maintenance make a huge difference? I'm sure there are some pros and cons to both.

I do know for sure I want a stick shift. I know the automatic has better 0-60 times, but I love driving sticks. I feel much more in tune with the car. Also, I've had to replace an automatic transmission once. It sucked big time. Stick shifts basically never break.

Then there is all of the upgrades you can buy. I'm going to spend time deciding if I want the Sports Chrono package, Sport Exhaust, The power package, PCCB (probably too expensive), etc, etc.

I look forward to some interesting conversations on this forum. I want to Thank you all in advance for the wealth of knowledge I know I will receive here.